Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Behold... pyrex

I went for a run with Izzy tonight. It felt really good to get my heart pumping.

I'm a sprinter by nature (a darn good sprinter). But I learned quickly that being fast doesn't really require skill. It just so happened that I had enough coordination to jump hurdles. Who knew?

The point is... I HATE running long distances and am very jealous of those who are naturals at it. I used to CRY on runs that were longer than 400 meters. If you don't believe me just ask Matt, I'm sure he'd love to tell you stories. In college we would run around Thompson Lake and before we were half way around the tears would fill my eyes and I'd usually have to stop and pull myself together. Matt always said that I didn't have the mental stamina, BUT I was determined to like running. Over the years I'm pretty sure I only went from hating it to tolerating it.


My cousin Lesley, a natural long distance runner, told me once that those who "disassociate" while exercising have a greater success rate. If by disassociate she means thinking about every painful step and wishing I were doing anything but this, then I am a super star. Unfortunately I don't think that's what she means. I've gotten better over time and now running a couple of miles isn't as much of a feat, but I should still learn to disassociate better.

Sorry for going off on a tangent.

A few weekends ago Matty and I went antiquing. We went to the surrounding towns and checked out all of the local shops. We weren't looking for anything in particular but I fell in love with this shop in St. Jo. The lighting was so great! I wish I would have taken more photos looking back.
This is also where I came across some reasonably priced PyREX. I have a small obsession with the stuff (and a growing collection). My mom and dad gave me the original yellow, green, red and blue nesting bowls for part of my college graduation gift. I had seen them in an antique shop with my mom and was pining after them, but they were so darn expensive. When it came time to register for our wedding, I pretty much based all of my kitchen accessories off of them (cue obnoxious bright colors). Matt tells me that I have a very "healthy" collection, which for him means it's practical and I don't spend too much money on them. This is true. I am VERY picky when it comes to my Pyrex (there is a LOT out there). I mostly like solids (I'm not into the patterned stuff) and I don't shop online. They can get pretty pricey but I hold out until I find the best deal. Sometimes I can even find them at thrift stores for dirt cheap. On top of that, I use them everyday. They aren't just decorative, they serve a purpose. Anyway I came across a set of four nesting bowls in colors I didn't have. I batted my eyelashes at my loving husband and we took them home with us. For a small fee of course.

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I'm right there with you! I help out an elderly lady and she has heaps of things like this. If my kitchen is even HALF as equipped as hers is, I'd be set for life.

The Wickershams said...

I can relate with you on the running thing-I too was a sprinter and felt like I might throw up after running more than a 400...I try so hard to run a mile with my dogs, but it is a challenge! I will have to try your "technique" haha

amy said...

haha you cried when running? i don't think i've heard of such a thing. i mean i used to whine (and still do) and sometimes puke up my lungs, but I don't think I ever cried...you're too funny.

Anonymous said...

Mohan, you are too funny. I just went on a run with Chris a few days ago and he had to stop 3+ times for various reasons (this was only a 2 mile loop). I kept telling him to "disassociate!" He didn't think that was very funny and kept reminding me he couldn't talk because "it hurt too much." I think we need to swap husbands when it comes to exercise routines, haha! See you on Friday- Lesley