Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Guest Room Completed!

Written by Shannon Leigh


Oh this poor room has been through so many darn transformations. It probably has QUITE the identity crisis.

It was once my wonderful, lovely and perfect craft room but when the Rubster came along it became the craft room/cram-a-bed in because there's nowhere else to put it room.

By a random turn of events we acquired a second queen sized bed. Technically we are "borrowing" the bed but until my sister has room for it (or has a little girl) it will be extremely happy here.

IMG_3811
The bed itself was actually our bed that Matt's parents gave us. We upholstered the headboard to match our old bedding. Since the borrowed bed now resides in our room we moved our bed frame to the guest room- confused?
Well anyway, we reupholstered it with brown to match the new bedding and paint in the guest room.
The paint turned out EXACTLY like I wanted. I love the color. Totally modern yet comforting.
IMG_3804IMG_3814
The bedding I got for a steal on sale at Pottery Barn.
I added some white quilted euro pillows from Bed Bath & Beyond and the gold throw pillows were repurposed from the couch.
The desk and chair have been in there since the beginning...
IMG_3825
I felt like the guest room needed a mirror so I dug out this one from the coat closet.

After we got married I was rummaging through my parent's house and found this mirror stuffed in a closet somewhere. It was super heavy and it was bevelled. I love bevelled glass. Anyway, I asked my mom if I could have it- it was stuffed in a closet. She said that I could "borrow" it. Well I've had it ever since and I don't really plan on returning it.
I asked if I could paint it and she said "no."
Soooo I refinished it.
I had some stain and polyurethane left over from redoing the red chair in the living room so viola, completely re-done.
I don't think my mom knew that I still had that mirror.
Crap, well I'm not giving it back now!
IMG_3826IMG_3827
The little blue box I got at a garage sale for 10 cents.
The white one I THINK I got from target but it's been a super long time ago.
IMG_3861
I really enjoy the obnoxiously large (20x20) portrait of Ru. My in-laws are the ones who stay here for the most part so they won't mind.
IMG_3816
The floating white shelves are from Menards and have been there for a long time. The glass jars are a mix of vintage, thrifted and new. They house many crafting supplies. They aren't accessed as much as they used to be.
IMG_3842IMG_3841
The shelves also hold vintage photo albums and all of my personal and professional files-nicely organized.
IMG_3843
These shelves house old family slides, books, various photos, and our wireless printer.
IMG_3837IMG_3844IMG_3845
Grandpa Gene as a little boy and Ruby of course! And here are Grandma and Grandad Dudley on their wedding day.
IMG_3851
The curtains and curtain rod are both from Lowes- on sale.
IMG_3820IMG_3854
The filing cabinet was from Office Max that we got with wedding money after our honeymoon. It was stained cherry so we painted it white.
The lamp was a gift from my sister a few years ago. I still love it and it fits perfectly in here!
The photos are old family slides scanned from 1969.
The top one is the St. Louis airport (then called Lambert Field).
The bottom one is the house that my Dad grew up in and the house that my sister was born in.
IMG_3858IMG_3859
This nightstand is ancient! I remember my sister had it when we were little. I'm not really sure how I ended up with it. At one point it was BRIGHT yellow. It has since been painted like 1500 times. It seems happy here.
Look at how ADORABLE my mom is as a baby? Don't you think that Ruby looks like her? I think so.

We are on to re-do the master, we've got new bedding and cans of paint... clearly I am bored with the decor in our house. It's been 3 years people! I need some change. Stay tuned for more:)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm!!!!There is that mirror that I've been looking for. Love the picture of that cute nana.