Monday, December 8, 2008

If you're a dog lover...

Last week I had to travel to Chicago for work (again). We usually stay on Michigan Ave. and the sights, sounds, food, and shopping keep my mind off of how much I miss my love and my pooch, did I mentioned the shopping? However, every once in a while there is some kind of convention downtown and all of the hotels (and I mean ALL) are booked. Because of some silly electronics convention last week, the unfortunate event occurred where I was stuck out at O'Hare with nothing to do (and we are talking nothing). There wasn't even a restaurant within walking distance to drown my sorrows while eating tiramisu by myself. Thank heavens I picked up this book before I left.
It really passed the time in my lonely hotel room. If you are a dog owner, or even if you're thinking about owning a dog someday, pick it up and read it (it will only take a few days, it's a quick read). With Grogan's honest but humorous accounts of daily life with a dog, you will fall in love with Marley and that wayward waggler in your life. It isn't the kind of story that will change your life, but it will warm your heart and make you laugh out loud. I found myself snickering quite a lot, especially since so many of the stories reminded me of my Izzy. The last few chapters are pretty rough, I even laid it down a few times proclaiming with tears in my eyes that I couldn't finish it. Matt encouraged me through it and I am glad I did.
I loved the book and I recommend it to everyone. The best part is that John never treated Marley more than what he was; a dog, but he was clearly a bonafide member of the family. Anyway, if you haven't read the book I think you should, and if you have, tell me what you thought of it. I'd love to hear your opinions.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVED this book! I read it a few months ago and I couldnt put it down! I had it done in 2 days! I laughed out loud and cried (which when reading it at work made a few people give me some funny looks) I can not wait for the movie to come out! I just loaned my book to my friend Megan but I definitely plan on reading it again!!