Monday, November 17, 2008

Blessed

As a kid I spent the hot days of summer with my head underwater. With tanned fingers and toes I would bob in and out of the blue painted in-ground pool that lay exactly one and a half miles from my parent’s house. There are home videos of me jumping off of the diving board at age 1, fearlessly trusting that my unwinged arms would be caught by whoever was below me in the water. I learned to swim in that pool long before I can remember. Blessed.

It never failed that if Grandma heard someone in the water she would come out and sit patiently in a lawn chair waiting for us to clamber out of the water. When we did, no matter how dripping wet we were, she expected us to crawl up on her lap and she would squeeze us so tight that it felt like she would never let go. I never understood this about her, why on earth would she want to get her perfectly dry clothes drenched on account of me? But none the less no matter who it was and no matter how soaked, she would hug them like she meant it…and how glad I am that she did. Blessed.

In elementary school Grandma was found to be hard of hearing. She had to carry around a cumbersome bag with wires that hung from her ears and were tucked beneath her clothes. She has always worn hearing aids since I have known her and never once have I heard her complain about them. I remember getting scolded by my mom when we would scream too close to her and it would make her hearing aid beep but I don’t remember Grandma ever getting upset. In her forties, Grandma was diagnosed with Retinitis Pigmentosa (RP). The condition would most likely cause her to be blind within a decade. Although her eyes were failing she never let her tunnel vision hinder her life. She continued to paint ceramics until it was just too hard and she came to all of her grandchildren’s events without blinking an eye. Grandma displayed a graceful strength that I can only hope to attain. She taught me to love God and love others with purity and kindness. Blessed.

Last weekend Grandma was involved in an accident that could have resulted in serious injuries or worse. Luckily she came away shaken up and bruised but in time she will be fine. God has chosen to bless those around her by keeping her safe. Please pray for her speedy recovery.

And as my mom recounted for me…

Mom: “Mary Lou you are just so lucky!”

Grandma: “No, I’m Blessed.”

No Grandma I am blessed.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful tribute to your grandmother!

The Slaters said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Slaters said...

Thank you for writing about Grandma. You were able to put into words what we all think of her. God definitely put a shield of protection around her.

Chase Abner said...

I really enjoyed this.

Shauna said...

Well said, Shannon. The Lord has once again blessed our family.

Anonymous said...

awesome words, SA. I'm thankful for your grandma.

Anonymous said...

Arn't grandma the best? Its amazing how much God can teach us and bless us through them!!!