Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Shoot the Wolves Because We Love the Sheep

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge. Fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs 1:7

I am a daily blog reader. Among the many blogs I read I would say more than half are written by LDS (Mormon) women. Why you ask? Because these women are incredible: beautiful, kind, incredible writers, strong, talented (wow are they talented), athletic, loving of their families, creative, well read, business minded... Even more than that, I seem to be interested in many of the same things as them. When I am in a creative rut I often look to these particular bloggers for some refreshing ideas (hence my Halloween fabric banner). Honestly I think we'd be friends... if I lived in Utah.
But as much as I have come to love and appreciate these women and their blogs, they and others who follow Mormonism, are wolves who mean to destroy the truth that comes from the Holy Bible and inundate our world with lies. Since the General Conference was just last weekend many of my blogging friends have been discussing the topics.
Let's put it this way...
If I were to invent a religion, Mormonism would DEFINITELY be it.

  • I would have strong moral convictions.
  • I could be sealed to my family for all of eternity and then my husband would become a God of his own planet and I would get to populate it with spirit children.
  • I'd have a living/breathing prophet, along with 12 apostles, telling me how to live by way of revelation (at a conference twice a year).
  • My works of service would be revered and would gain me a better spot in the celestial kingdom.
  • If I chose not to follow God in my earthly life, I would get the chance to in the afterlife... "individuals who died without accepting the Latter-day Saints' Gospel and no longer possess the physical body required for baptism are represented by living proxies, thereby granting them the opportunity to join their families in the celestial kingdom."
  • All people would live for eternity and "Those who choose not to follow our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will receive a reward according to what they have done in this life, but they will not enjoy the glory of living in the presence of God."
I mean continual revelation is where it's at right? Doctrine that continually changes based on whatever prophet is in charge, or whatever state law prohibits. This was the case with plural marriage.
My question is this... how would you know how to live your life if there is no reference in which these prophets speak? Their is no checking with scripture to ensure they are right and that their revelations are truly given by God... but here is the kicker.
The late LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley said "We are Christians in a very real sense and that is coming to be more and more widely recognized. Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ."

But after listening to this sermon I have the courage to shoot the wolves because I love the sheep. I pray for the Mormons out there that they will know the truth.

As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain men not to teach false doctrines any longer nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. These promote controversies rather than God's work—which is by faith. - 1 Timothy 1:3-4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spot on babe.

Unknown said...

Love it, Shan.

Love your thoughts. Love the Driscoll.